Monday, January 18, 2016

A photographic interlude

I suspect we all have some photos tucked away that others might enjoy (or at least laugh at) as they are led down memory lane. Even if these photographs are more personal than family-related, they can whisk us away to a simpler time (at least for those of us who were kids) many years ago.

Without further ado, then, I offer a favorite photo of Dad and yours truly, one that actually appeared in the York News-Times.



Thanks to a story on the Six-Day War on the back of the newspaper clipping, we can date the photo exactly: Wednesday, 7 June 1967. The well being drilled was on the south side of Highway 34, which can be seen in the far background. Closer in the background is the air compressor on the left and the back of the drilling rig on the right. The photograph was snapped after drilling was completed and during casing (note the old-style concrete casing sticking up at the back of the rig).

As noted in the caption, the crew consisted of Levi Friesen, Ray Rollins (I do not remember him and wonder if he really was part of the drill crew), Dad, and Lester Unruh. Unless I am mistaken, Ralph Friesen was also at the site that day.

Seeing this photograph again takes me back to that oppressively hot June afternoon, to time spent with my dad on the job, to the simple pleasure of a dip in the muddy waters of a slush pit. (OSHA was not such a force to be reckoned with then.) Which photographs take you back? Why not send them in so everyone can enjoy them?!

***

As a side note, as a nine-year-old who was always and only known as “Steve’s brother,” it was a kick to see my own name in print, even if it was my “formal” name. It’s funny how some things never change. Not more than a month ago when I was on the phone with someone from back home and he wanted to explain to his wife who he was talking to, he said, “Steve’s brother.” I guess I could do worse.


No comments: