Friday, June 27, 2014

Lushton farm

As those of you roughly my age or older no doubt recall, Grandpa and Grandma owned and worked a farm south of Lushton. This is not the same “farm home near Lushton” mentioned with regard to Margaretha Epp on the Peter P page of the Buller Family Record. Rather, this farm is the southwest quarter of section 36, Henderson Township, York County.




My understanding is that Grandpa purchased 40 acres of the farm about the time Grandma and he were married and that Grandpa’s father (Peter P) bought another 40 acres as a gift to the couple. I believe the land was purchased from John Runnalls (listed as the owner in the 1911 map above), but I know little beyond that.

If any of you would like to fill in details on Grandpa and Grandma’s farm, feel free to email me the information or to add your voice in the comments to this post. Questions that I have include:

  • In what year was the original purchase made?
  • Were all 160 acres purchased then (I assume they owned the entire quarter at some point), or was an initial purchase of 80 acres followed by a second purchase of 80 acres?
  • What buildings were on the farm when they bought it? What buildings did they add?
  • What was the original purchase price (per acre)?
  • Who did Grandpa and Grandma sell the farm to and when?
  • What do those of you who grew up on the farm remember about it (I remember hearing something about rats)?

Today all the buildings are gone (see below), but not the memories. I suspect that some of you also have photographs of the house, the outbuildings, and the farm itself. I would be happy to scan any and all photos that you have, so contact me via email (see the Buller Family Record post), and we can work out the details.




No comments: